Monday, February 18, 2008

Team Marion!


Last night I finally watched La Vie En Rose, the docudrama of Edith Piaf's life. The film is very well made, but the film is really a showcase for the incredible talents of its lead actress, Marion Cotillard, who more than plays Edith Piaf, she IS Edith Piaf. As much as I admire Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn in Coal Miner's Daughter or Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles in Ray, I don't think I've seen a finer performance of a musical legend on film than Cotillard's. Every rave review and award (plus Oscar nomination) she has received for her performance is justly deserved. She makes Piaf such a complex woman, and is not afraid to make her unlikable.

Going into next Sunday's Oscars, Julie Christie is the frontrunner to win the award for her performance in Away From Her. As much as I love Julie Christie (she is one of my favourite actresses) and her performance, she simply can't hold a candle to Cotillard's rich, multi-layered performance. Also, Christie's role is more of a supporting one, as the film is anchored by Gordon Pinsent's moving, and underrated, performance.

I hope the Academy recognizes Cotillard next Sunday. She deserves the award.

1 comment:

Avenue Road said...

I still need to see this film. But it sounds great.