Saturday, April 3, 2010

Enough with "Glee"!

I'm going to just come out and say it: I'm tired of the show "Glee." I'm tired of hearing about it; I'm tired of reading about it; I'm tired of seeing it advertised on Global ad nauseam; and I'm tired of hearing that d*#% cover of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" (which has spawned countless imitations/covers), and all the other "Glee" covers which have been featured on the television show's two soundtracks (It has not even wrapped up its first season and already there are two soundtracks, not to mention an upcoming digital EP for a Madonna-themed episode).

Yes, call me the "Glee Grinch," but this show hasn't finished its first season and already it's overexposed. Sure, the cast is charming and can sing (although a lot of their voices sound "processed" and a bit too perfect), and there are some cute lines, but the show is so hyped up it doesn't always deliver. I enjoy the episodes, but its hype factor always leaves me feeling... a bit let down. Yes, Jane Lynch is fantastic (and please give her the Emmy now), but anyone who has followed her career for the past 15 years, most notably in Christopher Guest's "Best In Show" and "A Mighty Wind" would tell you that she's been scene-stealing for years.

Being a geek myself, it is almost heresy that I am not championing the show. That's not to say I don't like it, but I just don't think it's that good. It's become like Twilight - a pop culture phenomenon that has become so big, it's hard to enjoy it just on its merits. It's in your face (and ears) everywhere you go, that it just turns you off.

I guess I'm just not part of this "Glee" club.

No comments: