Saturday, March 15, 2008

Smurfs!




Remember Saturday Morning Cartoons? If you grew up during the '80s like myself, you'll remember shows like Muppet Babies, The New Archies, Scooby Doo, and so many more. And of course, you'll remember The Smurfs. I have a habit of collecting retro cartoons, particularly from the '80s. So when I heard that Part One of Season One of The Smurfs was going to be released on DVD, I couldn't resist buying it. I think there's a part of us that wants to tap back into the past, to a time when life was (or seemed) more innocent, when we didn't think of bills or RRSP's or mortgage payments. Essentially, I bought the Smurfs for nostalgia, not because I think it's a great cartoon.

While it was fun to watch it again, I can't say that I really want to buy the subsequent seasons. The Smurfs is cute. But I'm no longer five years old, so the show doesn't have the same hold on me at 31. I'm now into shows like The L Word or Project Runway -- they're not exactly The Smurfs.

However, there is a certain sadness watching The Smurfs. I remember the good times about my childhood, but also the tough times. And I think back to that five-year-old, full of hopes and dreams, who loved watching Smurfette tease the male Smurfs, or Gargamel trying to thwart the poor Smurfs; the boy who couldn't wait to be an adult, but had no idea what being an adult involved. All in all, I'm glad I bought The Smurfs box set, but it's been a bittersweet experience.

2 comments:

Avenue Road said...

I love the smugs!!

TPC said...

haha

I'll lend you the DVD or get it for you for Christmas!! LOL