Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Mariah tops Elvis record


Mariah Carey's latest song "Touch My Body" has hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100, making this her 18th number-one smash, and thus, beating Elvis Presley's streak of 17 number-one songs. This makes Carey the first solo artist to score 18 number-one songs. She has yet to beat the Beatles' record of 20 number-ones.

I have to admit I have never been a big Mariah Carey fan. She produces great songs (and "Touch My Body" is another winner), but I have always found her lacking in personality. I also find her a lackluster live performer. I saw her live on her last tour in Toronto, and her voice, obviously strained and weakened after her famous breakdown in 2001, was croaky and it cracked throughout. She also seems uncomfortable on stage, flailing her arms, and walking around the stage aimlessly. For someone who has been in the biz for so long, she should be a stronger live performer.

But I've got to give props to Mariah. She has a knack for making classic songs, and while I'm not a big fan, I have bought many of her songs ("Always Be My Baby", "My All" and "Don't Forget About Us" are my favourites). She'll undoubtedly have more hits when her new album E=MC2 is released later this month.

Then, she may just beat the Fab Five's record.

No comments: